You've been the dearest person to me for several months already

< Previous | Next >

Ptak

Rußland
Hi all,

You've been the dearest person to me for several months already.

Could someone tell me please is the sentence is okay? I wonder if "to me" and "already" are fine.
Thanks.

• UOregon06

English - US
    "To me" is perfect.

The "already" at the end is somewhat confusing for me. Already implies a one-time action that has already started and stopped.

It would make more sense in a sentence like this "You've already become the dearest person to me in only a few months."

"You've been" implies something that's not necessarily finished

You might want to add "now" at the end instead of "already"

"You've been the dearest person to me for several months now", which implies that you have been the dearest person to me, and you're probably going to continue that trend in the future.

Kind of confusing, hope this helps :)

rippledj

English - American/Canadian
    I feel your sentence if fine, and also implies that you will continue to be dear in the future. For example: I have eaten 3 apples already. I will eat 3 more then take a swim.

UOregon06

English - US
    I feel your sentence if fine, and also implies that you will continue to be dear in the future. For example: I have eaten 3 apples already. I will eat 3 more then take a swim.
    The more I think about it, the more the original sentence does make sense. It just seemed awkward as a first impression. Either works :)

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    The more I think about it, the more the original sentence does make sense. It just seemed awkward as a first impression. Either works :)

I don't think lovers could say this to each other in BE, and it wouldn't be very suitable language for other people, with its suggestion that you always have someone with the title of 'dearest person' in your life.

I've been in love with you for several months now could be a possible way of saying this, I think. The already carries the suggestion that the period of time should be sufficient for some purpose or other, perhaps to placate, or excite the amorous interest of, the other person.

rippledj

I don't think lovers could say this to each other in BE, and it wouldn't be very suitable language for other people, with its suggestion that you always have someone with the title of 'dearest person' in your life.

I've been in love with you for several months now could be a possible way of saying this, I think. The already carries the suggestion that the period of time should be sufficient for some purpose or other, perhaps to placate, or excite the amorous interest of, the other person.
    Sorry, I think that this context is more like: You have treated me kindly for several months already....

to be continued by something like... Are you sure it's ok that I stay for another month?

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    Sorry, I think that this context is more like: You have treated me kindly for several months already....

to be continued by something like... Are you sure it's ok that I stay for another month?
    Thanks for this Rippled.

One of the things I was saying was that this language would be inappropriate for such a purpose in BE.

rippledj

Yes, certainly. I see how the differences in translation between BE and AE can be drastic sometimes, especially considering little context to work with. ;)

< Previous | Next >