You've got a bouncin' bike too. Dad... you're the end!

alexgreek

Greek
Hello people.
I'm reading the "Spiderman no more" and when Peter Parker meets Mary Jane Watson for the first time one of the first things she told him is this: "I never thought a tiger who wore his hair so short could be so dreamy. And you've got a bouncin' bike too. Dad... you're the end!"

The thing is that I'm not sure if I understand the meaning of "bouncin'", "dad" and "you're the end" in this context. But I think that "bouncin'" means "cool" in this context, right? About the word "dad" I have no idea what it means since definitely, Peter Parker is not her father since they end up in a romantinc relationship.

Can you please clear this up for me?

I googled all of the three words/expressions and I didn't find anything.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • KHS

Yes, I agree that "bouncin'" means something similar to "cool" (at any rate, a positive quality).
    "You're the end" has the sense of "You're great." (
    "Daddy-o" was a beat generation term of address that had nothing to do with any father-child relationship. I assume that's what's going on here.

These are slang from an era before my time (and I'm 71).

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    These sound like AE slang terms from (roughly) the 1950s. But the people who wrote the comic probably looked them up (and may not be using them naturally), or got them from old Annette Funicello movies like "Beach Blanket Bingo". In other words, they might be California slange from the 1950s, not words that were used in AE nationwide. I don't recognize the slang terms "tiger" or "bouncin" or dad". I recognize "dreamy" and "you're the end".

< Previous | Next >