"You've got the double-clicking down."

< Previous | Next >

pinkie505

Czech Republic, Czech
Hello everyone!

Could anyone please help me with a tricky expression?

I'm reading a novel for teenagers from an American author. There are two girls getting ready for a party. At the party, one of the girls is going to meet a boy she is in love with. She expresses her fears about their meeting to her friend and says:

"I'm really starting to get nervous, though. What if we just don't click?"

To this, the other girl answers:

"Well, you've got the double-clicking down. (...)"

I guess there is a pun or joke but I don't get it. Does it make any sense or should I provide more context?

Thanks a lot for your ideas!

• sdgraham

USA English
    Welcome to the forum, Pinkie.

"Click" is a colloquial expression, at least in American English (AE), when two people find themselves compatible. (There are other meanings, of course, but this seems appropriate to the context.) I suspect it's a metaphor based upon the sound of two mechanical parts fitting together.

"Double-clicking," is what one does with the mouse on a graphics-based computer interface.

So, we have a play on words here meaning, I think, that one girl is socially adept at being friendly, perhaps more than just friendly, with others.

ewie

English English
    Hello Pinkie ~ Welcome to the Forum:)
    Can you tell us if this boy and girl have never met before? If, for example, they'd got to know each other via an internet chat-room, that would help to explain the double-clicking pun.

pinkie505

Czech Republic, Czech
    Hello Pinkie ~ Welcome to the Forum:)
    Can you tell us if this boy and girl have never met before? If, for example, they'd got to know each other via an internet chat-room, that would help to explain the double-clicking pun.
    Hello Ewie and thanks for trying to help!

They've already met before. They actually met once and since then they have been chatting. Does it help to solve the enigma?

pinkie505

Czech Republic, Czech
    Welcome to the forum, Pinkie.

"Click" is a colloquial expression, at least in American English (AE), when two people find themselves compatible. (There are other meanings, of course, but this seems appropriate to the context.) I suspect it's a metaphor based upon the sound of two mechanical parts fitting together.

"Double-clicking," is what one does with the mouse on a graphics-based computer interface.

So, we have a play on words here meaning, I think, that one girl is socially adept at being friendly, perhaps more than just friendly, with others.
    Hello sdgraham!

Thanks for your answer. I understand both meanings of "click" here but I still don't get the pun... What might she mean by "you've got the double-clicking down"?

ewie

English English
    They've already met before. They actually met once and since then they have been chatting. Does it help to solve the enigma?
    Well, if they've only met once but have since been chatting, just how have they been chatting? Email?

EDIT: It seems (to me) to mean You're good at chatting to him on your computer ...

pinkie505

Czech Republic, Czech
    Well, if they've only met once but have since been chatting, just how have they been chatting? Email?

EDIT: It seems (to me) to mean You're good at chatting to him on your computer ...
    They have been chatting on AOL.

pinkie505

Czech Republic, Czech
    "Double click" is also apparantly slang for female masturbation.
    Don´t know if that helps but you will know from reading the book if it´s appropriate.
    Thanks Lis!
    Yes, female masturbation actually is one of the topics of the book so that might be the right clue! But still, what might it mean to "have the double-clicking down"? I don't know what it means to have something down...
    The context is that the other girl keeps telling this girl that she should try to masturbate, that it's great etc. but this girl is a bit reluctant, she has tried a bit but with not much success...

pinkie505

Czech Republic, Czech
    To have <something> down ... means you have become an expert at it.
    Oh, I see! Thanks, panjadrum.

Then I guess the meaning is the one suggested by Ewie, i.e. "You're good at chatting to him on your computer."

Thanks to everyone for your replies!

< Previous | Next >