ze waren vs het waren

• Alisson Pereira

Portuguese - Brazil
    So, nothing so special
    I'm trying to learn those things (singular with plural, I guess?), it's, for me, a kind of difficult subject to get easily, because that subject there is niether my language or English. But i've been working on improving it.

Then Can I say?

Dit/dat/die/deze zijn/waren

Die/dat zijn/waren haar vrienden
    Dit/deze zijn/waren haar vrienden

If you can gimme more examples, please!

Peterdg

Dutch - Belgium
    So, nothing so special
    I'm trying to learn those things (singular with plural, I guess?), it's, for me, a kind of difficult subject to get easily, because that subject there is niether my language or English. But i've been working on improving it.

Then Can I say?

Yes, you can say all that.

But, you should keep in mind that the forum rules demand some guidelines you have to follow and your questions do not follow them:

1) You should always provide context. That means that you cannot ask:
    Then Can I say?

Those are not complete sentences and they come without context. Are you talking about "people" or "things"? In which sense do you use "zijn"?

2)
    You should not ask for more examples. The forum rules prohibit asking for lists and such a question is asking for "lists".

Alisson Pereira

Portuguese - Brazil

In those cases, can the words Dit/dat/die/deze be used?
    For example:

Dat waren haar vrienden ( those were her friends)
    Dit waren haar vrienden (these were her friends)
    Die waren haar vrienden (those were her friends)
    Deze waren haar vrienden (these were her friends)

eno2

Dutch-Flemish
    Yes, you can say all that.

But, you should keep in mind that the forum rules demand some guidelines you have to follow and your questions do not follow them:

1) You should always provide context. That means that you cannot ask:
    Those are not complete sentences and they come without context. Are you talking about "people" or "things"? In which sense do you use "zijn"?

2)

You should not ask for more examples. The forum rules prohibit asking for lists and such a question is asking for "lists".

Mod didn't intervene (much) in that stile of questioning, the reason probably being the questions are mainly about grammar (learning).

Alisson should be aware of rule 2 & 3 but as there's no separate subforum for Dutch grammar, grammar questions can be posted here.

Now, it would perhaps be better to use a title that clearly REFERS TO a GRAMMAR question such as for instance "Use of the demonstratives/aanwijzende voornaamwoorden dit, dat die, deze" "etc..

In that case that will surely involve less limitation (of the context and one- question -a - thread rule)

But you still have to use a full sentence for each example of course.

I'm aware Alisson changed the subject from personal pronouns ze/het to demonstatives die/dit. You can't do that in the same thread.

Last edited: