zero period (at school)

Encolpius

Hungarian
Good morning, do you have zero periods in school system where you live or country you know well? And what do you call it in different languages? A zero period is a class that is early in the morning, around 6-7. Thank you for your help and have a productive day. Enco.

Hungarian: nulladik óra
Czech: nultá hodina

• alfaalfa

italiano
    Ciao,
    in Italy, sometimes we have pre (and post) scuola. 30 minutes before the beginning (or after the ending) of the lessons. Only for kids until 10/11 YO (nursery and primary school) and only for parents special needs.

Encolpius

Hungarian
    In the US we have homeroom. Not sure if it's the same thing as your "zero class."

Good morning everybody, maybe it is something new. I ran into the expression in the website of a NYC high school. I cannot remember the name of the school now, it was in Brooklyn.

Here you can learn more about it.

In Central Europe classes with zero period start (started?) roughly 60 minutes before the 1st period.

Bye. Enco.

Circunflejo

Castellano de Castilla
    There's no such thing is Spain, as far as I know (education is run by regions). There's something similar to what @alfaalfa quoted for Italy in post 7 though although it lasts more than 30 minutes.

Roxxxannne

American English (New England and NYC)
    In the US we have homeroom. Not sure if it's the same thing as your "zero class."

"Zero class period" is not the same as homeroom, according to what I see on the web. It's an early morning class period that starts and ends before the "normal" numbered series of class periods for the day. When the school adds a class period that begins before the usual first class period, but wants to keep the 'traditional' numbered series of classes, the easiest way to include the new, early class is to call it a zero period class.

hx1997

汉语普通话 Chinese - Mandarin
    In mainland China, we have 早读 (lit. morning reading), which is before the first period of the day, and typically involves all students, led by some leader student, reading/reciting some texts or poems aloud.