zhen ta ma jue (真他妈绝)

< Previous | Next >

dudasd

Serbo-Croatian
I don't know a single word of Chinese, so I sincerely hope for your help here. :)

The whole sentence reads:

"Zhou, his floor manager, had overseen so many cabarets that he rarely indulged in even a flicker of excitement anymore, but the size of the well-dressed crowd waiting outside made him catch Lin’s eye and mouth the words Zhen ta ma jue, damned incredible." (Source: Night in Shanghai, Nicole Mones)

As much as I realize, the first part of the phrase (zhen ta ma) is a swear-word (like "bloody" in English), but I couldn't find nothing about "jue". I am supposed to transliterate these words according to our writing system, so what I need is exact writing of that word (jue), so that I can find it in and hear its pronunciation in audio dictionaries. Also I don't know if the translation ("incredible") is accurate.

Thank you very much in advance!

• tarlou

Chinese
    I think it's 绝 as in 太绝了.
    "Damned incredible" is a quite accurate translation.

SuperXW

I agree with tarlou, it should be 真他妈绝!
    A perfect choice of slang expression which accurately expresses
    "Damned incredible!" Since it's too native, some oversee Chinese (like Youngfun? :D) could not associate with the correct character.

Skatinginbc

Mandarin 國語
    Since it's too native, some oversee Chinese (like Youngfun? :D) could not associate with the correct character.
    I think Youngfun heard of 拍案叫絕 and knew what 絕 means. He/She just didn't think of it at that moment. It is sometimes difficult to guess a character from Pinyin that is not marked with a tone.

< Previous | Next >