zip, zipper

eno2

Dutch-Flemish
Hello

Zip, zipper from to zip
Dutch Rits, from Ritsen= to zip, also Ritssluiting from Rits & Sluiting (Zip &Closure)
Griek φερμουάρ (de fermoir = Agrafe destinée à fermer un sac, un collier... , attache Eng: clasp) so from the idea of to close. Which is remarkable because the French word for zipper is not Fermoir but Fermeture éclair from fermer & eclair so from 'to close very rapidly. '
Reissverschluss Zip & closure. Same a Dutch.
Cremallera , directly formed from the existing word for the physical form =>Préstamo (s. XIX) del francés crémaillère ‘barra metálica con dientes destinada a suspender las ollas, calderas, etc., sobre el fuego Metal bar with 'theeth

• momai

Arabic - Syria
    Arabic (Syrian):
    to zip: سحّب saħħab
    zipper: سحّاب saħħaab
    Root: s-ħ-b = to pull

Yendred

Français - France
    In fact, the French "fermeture éclair" is originally a commercial trademark, and has become common language, like frigidaire or mobylette.

symposium

Italian - Italy
    In Italian we use "zip" or "cerniera lampo" which is a literal translation of French "fermeture éclair".

Yendred

Français - France
    So that 'fermeture éclair' was contagious....Or who was first?
    I don't know who was first but I can tell more about the History of the name in France.

The feature was invented in 1891 by the American mechanical engineer Whitcomb Judson and improved in 1913 by the Swedish-American engineer Gideon Sundback.
    It was introduced in France in 1924 under the name "fermeture à glissière" (lit. sliding fastener) or "fermeture à crémaillère" (lit. rack fastener), and in order to exploit Sundback's patent, a company was created in France, homeland of fashion, by a German clothing manufacturer, Wilhelm Prym.
    The company was called Éclair Prym, "éclair" meaning flash of light/lightning, to conjure up the idea of a fastener you can close as quick as lightning. The device was commercialized in France under the name "Fermeture Éclair", after the name of the company, and this is the usual name we still use today to call it.

Last edited:

eno2

Dutch-Flemish
    Compared to 'zip', it's too wordy (too long, too elaborate), fermeture éclair. Tirette, ça serait mieux. It's curious Italians would lend a French Brand name, perhaps the Company was Lampo Prym in Italy?

Why do all (quality) zips carry the initials YKK of he who I thought was the Japanese inventor?

Last edited:

Yendred

Français - France
    Compared to 'zip', it's too wordy (too long, too elaborate), fermeture écalir
    Well, French is known to be wordy, compared to English ;)
    But I guess they like it: What about a ménage à trois with a femme fatale? :D

Why do all (quality) zips carry the initials YKK of he who I thought was the Japanese inventor?
    Not the inventor, but the present world leader for zippers: YKK - Wikipedia

Last edited:

nimak

Macedonian
    Macedonian

to zip
    = затвора (zatvora) ['zatvɔra] verb lit. "close"; or закопчува (zakopčuva) [za'kɔpʧuva] verb lit. "button up"
    zipper = патент (patent) [pa'tɛnt] noun masc.

< Previous | Next >