zip-zoom-zap

< Previous | Next >

jacdac

Lebanese
“Mrs. Hawk’s house, a whirlwind sale, zip-zoom-zap, listed and sold the same day to a developer who builds on spec. Very sad deal. I took longer to decide which hummingbird hummingbird feeder to buy for my patio. Do you like hummingbirds, Nathan?”
Source: The Silent Corner by Dean Koontz
Context: FBI sectional chief Nathan Silverman is enquiring from realtor Mrs. Chang about the sale of the Mrs Jane Hawk’s property.

zip-zoom-zap means super fast, right? Is it a common colloquial term in conversations?

Thank you.

• suzi br

English / England
    Yes it means super fast.

I would not say it’s common but all of the components are familiar from the comic-strip “action” context and it’s easy to understand.

kentix

English - U.S.
    Any sound effect will do, it's not a standard combination.

boom-bam-bop
    bing-bang-bong
    boom-boom-boom

jacdac

Lebanese
    I find this novel rather challenging. It has an intriguing plot but time consuming to decipher his convoluted metaphors. I need a break from his style.

suzi br

English / England
    I find this novel rather challenging. It has an intriguing plot but time consuming to decipher his convoluted metaphors. I need a break from his style.
    Do you want reading suggestions?
    PM me if you do.

But here’s a general tip:
    I try to read in French.
    I sometimes buy crime books translated into French that I’ve already read in their original English. :D
    It makes for easier work than tussling with genuine French Literature and then the cultural references are familiar instead of adding an extra layer of mystery to the language challenges.

< Previous | Next >