Spanish to English zoclo

Dictionary entry: zoclo

Jefe Muga

Spanish - Mexico
hi from Ciudad Juarez, Mexico.
here the word Zoclo also applies in construction. It translates to english as Baseboard or Skirting.
It is the piece of flooring trim that goes on the the wall where the floor meets the wall. usually 2 to 4 inches of trim. this can be wooden or tile, or whatever the floor is.
hope this is helpful.

• Jefe Muga

Spanish - Mexico
    hmmm, I see what you mean. but the weird part is that people here don't say that word. Zoclo and zócalo are spelled similarly but the pronunciation is different enough to tell the difference. It is quite possible that in my time I have only run into people who mistakenly use the word Zoclo in place of zócalo by error due to pure ignorance. I admit that even I fall into this category because when you hear a word used by builders and even at the hardware stores, you grow up using a word incorrectly without knowing it.

fenixpollo

Dictionary Editor
    American English
    Interesting. A quick internet search shows several websites that corroborate your claim -- zoclo is used instead of, or interchangeably with, zócalo.

Here's a recent example of its use: ¿Zoclo o arte contemporáneo? Polémica en el Museo Jumex

I am going to ask the Spanish Base team to add this term to the esbase. It's already in the es>en dictionary, somehow, but the sense of "baseboard" is missing. This is the sense in the ES entry for Zócalo: Friso o franja que se pinta o coloca en la parte inferior de una pared.

Last edited:

n.ares

Dictionary Editor
    Spanish - Colombia
    I am going to ask the Spanish Base team to add this term to the esbase. It's already in the es>en dictionary, somehow, but the sense of "baseboard" is missing. This is the sense in the ES entry for Zócalo: Friso o franja que se pinta o coloca en la parte inferior de una pared.
    I think the problem is in EsEn because the sense friso de las paredes actually refers to baseboard. I've edited this entry in EsBase to make this sense clearer and now it will read zócalo, friso de muro.