English base zoning ordinance

Dictionary entry: zoning ordinance
  • DearPrudence

Dépêche Mod (AL mod)
    Dictionary Editor
    IdF
    French (lower Normandy)
    Rebonsoir, sylvainremy, et merci pour votre suggestion :)

Je transmets à la base anglaise pour voir s'ils voudraient ajouter ce terme.

DrD

Dictionary Editor
    England English
    Hmm, well, we have zoning and we have ordinance as separate terms. I'm a little unsure about the translation. An ordinance is a rule or regulation (and a zoning ordinance is a rule or regulation relating to what kinds of properties can be in a zone). If that can be translated by 'plan', then perhaps that should figure among the translations for 'ordinance'? Are there other instances where 'ordinance' might translate as 'plan'?

sylvainremy

French
    Hmm, well, we have zoning and we have ordinance as separate terms. I'm a little unsure about the translation. An ordinance is a rule or regulation (and a zoning ordinance is a rule or regulation relating to what kinds of properties can be in a zone). If that can be translated by 'plan', then perhaps that should figure among the translations for 'ordinance'? Are there other instances where 'ordinance' might translate as 'plan'?
    I don't think plan translates ordinance. A plan conveys a complete set of rules and regulations so might comprise multiple ordinances. However, plan d'urbanisme is more common in French while zoning ordinance is more common in (American?) English and they both refer to the same subject matter. I believe there may be other local variations according to francophone (Quebec, Belgium, etc.) and anglophone (US, UK, etc.) urban planning legal systems.

Kelly B

USA English
    I don't think they're equivalent. Zoning ordinances are the regulations that reflect the goals of land use planning.