zoom in on, see through a zoom lens

Zuccherro

Arabic
Hello!

In arabic we use the expression "under the microscope", meaning to examine something closely
I was wondering whether there's a similar expression in English

My attempt is: to zoom in on something - or- to look at something through a zoom lens.

But I don't know whether we say this in English or whether there's a more familiar expression ...

Would it make sense to you if the title read: "Zooming in on (the issue)" or "(the issue) through a zoom lens" ?

• Beryl from Northallerton

British English
    Q: "In Arabic we use the expression "under the microscope", meaning to examine something closely!"
    A: We have the same expression in English: 'to put something under the microscope' = to scrutinise.

Q: "Would it make sense to you if the title read: "Zooming in on (the issue)" or "(the issue) through a zoom lens""
    A: We also have this expression in English: 'to zoom in on' = to examine in greater detail, to subject to closer scrutiny.

"Zooming in on (the issue)" :tick:................."(the issue) under the microscope" :tick:

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    No, not really, looking at something through a zoom lens doesn't really work.

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    Oh I thought it would sound nice ^^'
    Thank you for your help guys :)
    A zoom lens is one that can change its view. I have a zoom lens that starts with a very wide-angle view and zooms to moderately wide-angle view (check out the photos on this page, for example!). Many zooms will make the subject seem much closer but not all do. Also, because it can zoom in, does not mean it actually is zoomed in. That's why people are discouraging its use in your context.

< Previous | Next >