zusammenfallen

< Previous | Next >

studentfrench

English
Hi, I'm trying to translate:

Dennoch fiel die Fabrikmauer sofort auf ein Normalmaß zusammen, ließ man das Auge auf die rechte Seite hinüber schweifen

I'm finding the zusammenfallen really difficult. This is what I've put but I don't think it sounds right:

Nevertheless the factory wall subsided straight away to a normal proportion, allowing one to sweep one’s eyes back over to the right side

What would be better?
Thanks

• Robocop

(Swiss) German
    Dennoch fiel die Fabrikmauer sofort auf ein Normalmaß zusammen, ließ man das Auge auf die rechte Seite hinüber schweifen.
    Nevertheless the factory wall subsided straight away to a normal proportion, allowing one to sweep one’s eyes back over to the right side
    I should write:
    Sweeping one’s eyes over to the right made the factory wall subside straight away to a normal proportion nevertheless.
    Sweeping one’s eyes over to the right put the factory wall straight away to a normal proportion nevertheless.

HON_Redakteur

Englisch - U.S.
    Yes, studentfrench, Robocop is quite right. You perhaps oversaw that the subordinate clause is "wenn man das Auge auf die rechte Seite hinüber schweifen ließ". Unfortunately, German grammar allows one to omit the "wenn" in such cases, which makes it more difficult to comprehend the true meaning.
    I would only argue with his placement of "nevertheless," which should immediately precede the verb: "...to the right nevertheless made the factory wall immediately subside to normal proportions."

Regards,

< Previous | Next >