zuweisen

< Previous | Next >

elroy

Imperfect mod
US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
Das bekannteste Stück ist die sog. Decennalienbasis, die bereits H. P. L'Orange dem Denkmal zugewiesen hat.
Ich verstehe das Verb "zuweisen" in diesem Satz nicht. Hier mein Übersetzungsversuch des Restes des Satzes:

The most well-known piece is the so-called "Decennalian Basis, which H. P. L'Orange had already _____ to the memorial.

:idea: Mir ist plötzlich eine Möglichkeit eingefallen. Könnte "dem Denkmal zugewiesen hat" "had assigned to the memorial" bedeuten?

• elroy

Imperfect mod
    Ralf said:
    Yes, either "assigned to" or "ascribed to" or "attributed to" the memorial.

Ralf
    Hm...upon further reflection, I don't think "assigned to" makes much sense here. When I guessed "assigned to," I meant that he added that piece to the memorial or something - but now I'm not so convinced. The previous sentence states that only fragments of a certain memorial remain to this day. With that in mind, I think a better translation would be "which H.P.O. had already matched with the memorial." Essentially, that would mean that he determined that the piece belonged to the memorial.

What do you think?

Ralf

German
    elroy said:
    Hm...upon further reflection, I don't think "assigned to" makes much sense here. When I guessed "assigned to," I meant that he added that piece to the memorial or something - but now I'm not so convinced. The previous sentence states that only fragments of a certain memorial remain to this day. With that in mind, I think a better translation would be "which H.P.O. had already matched with the memorial." Essentially, that would mean that he determined that the piece belonged to the memorial.

What do you think?
    I would read from the text, that H. P. L'Orange is an expert who once identified separate fragments (that had been found elsewhere) as belonging to a specific memorial that may be has gotten lost over the centuries. Just a guess, but it makes perfectly sense to me since "zuweisen" can be actually understood this way: "Ein bisher unbekanntes Bild, dass sich in Privatbesitz befand, konnte nach eingehenden Untersuchungen einer frühen Schaffensphase des Malers XXXX zugewiesen (= zugeordnet) werden."

Ralf

elroy

Imperfect mod
    Ralf said:
    I would read from the text, that H. P. L'Orange is an expert who once identified separate fragments (that had been found elsewhere) as belonging to a specific memorial that may be has gotten lost over the centuries. Just a guess, but it makes perfectly sense to me since "zuweisen" can be actually understood this way: "Ein bisher unbekanntes Bild, dass sich in Privatbesitz befand, konnte nach eingehenden Untersuchungen einer frühen Schaffensphase des Malers XXXX zugewiesen (= zugeordnet) werden."

Ralf
    I agree with your assumption that he "once identified the separate fragment." However, why do you assume that the memorial was lost over the centuries? All the sentence is saying is that one of the fragments that now remain had been identified as belonging to the memorial in question.

Ralf

German
    Sorry, somehow I managed to misinterpret your statement:
    elroy said:
    ... The previous sentence states that only fragments of a certain memorial remain to this day. ...
    My assumption was that there were only reports on the former existence of an, say ancient, memorial and that fragments had been identified as belonging to the whole ensemble, perhaps on the basis of contemporary descriptions or graphics.

But your are right, it's just mere assumption on my part. :)

Ralf

< Previous | Next >